Saturday, October 28, 2006

This year's Halloween


My last posts have shown you pictures from last year's Halloween, but I finally have pictures from this year. As you can see Amelia is little mermaid and Jacob is Superman. The pictures are from the ward Halloween party. It was pretty fun. I typically have some reservations about being social but every once in a while I make an effort. In this case the results were pretty good. We have made some good friends here. It is funny though because our best friends have actually just moved here from Utah as well. Also, I have found one sure fire way to making friends in the ward. Stay and help clean up. This observation actually started last week. So last week I went to clean the church. I wasn't originally scheduled to do so but I had missed my turn the week before so I volunteered to make up for it. But in addition to that I had cleaned the church two weeks prior because the quorum leader had called and asked if I could help because they were short. Anyway, when I showed up last week the guy that lets people in and is kind of the church maintenance man recognized me and was surprised to see me. He seemed really grateful I was there and a big deal that I had come twice in such a short period. For me however it didn't seem like a big deal. Cleaning is easy. If I could clean myself into celestial glory then I would be set. OK, back to last night. Our good friends are on the activities committee so I thought it would be nice to stay and help clean. (Which come to find out the Elders were in charge of but nobody ever mentioned it last Sunday) Well, the point of all this is that I think the cleaning up was just as fun as the party because I got to talk and joke with the others that were cleaning. So my observation is that helping is by far a better way to make friends then partying.

Today was also a fun day. Our good friends came over to watch the BYU vs. Air Force game. We BBQed hamburgers and watched and visited. BYU kind of dominated so it got to be kind of boring because we were going to win and there wasn't much drama. I like my football when my team wins with drama. Afterwards we carved pumpkins. I did the old woman/witch from Snow White and Julie did the cute little face. I have another pumpkin but it actually takes a long time to carve these so maybe I will do it tomorrow.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

glad that you were able to carve a pumpkin, it's pretty cool. i carved one too this year, well actually rodo and i did it together but i'll say it is mine. anyway, what did you do to amelai's hair?! it looks very mermaid red!

Ginny-Gin-Gin said...

Sweet pumpkins and congrats on the new friend thing. Who are your "good" friends? Do you have any "bad" ones?

Like always, everyone looks fabulous even if Mia looks a little tierd =>

I actually carved a pumpkin this year! It was at Mutral and I was on a team with Ellisha. We tried to do Miho (even though Ellisha has no idea who she is) and it turned out okay. We did a pretty good job for only having a kitchen knife =>

When is BYU's football season over? (At least your team wins. This year Ray lost all the games except Homecoming. Go figure.)

Stephen Kuykendall said...

Good job on the pumpkin, I haven't done one in years, and when I do it usually ends up being the batman logo or some such thing. It's funny that BYU games are so boring this year, pity we keep winning by so much. Went to the game with Marc last week and had a good time. He'd never had a Brat, but I remedied that. I think it's funny that John finds his way out of all pics he posts, although the people in the pictures are much cuter than he.

Anonymous said...

hey that is a good point, how come we never see john!! i agree that his family is probably cuter but it would be nice to see what he looks like too!!!

Anonymous said...

you need to update buddy!!

Kristine said...

Cool! I finally found someone I know who is a blogger too. Jennifer and Gary were here on Sunday night and told me about Mormon Momcast...so I had to check it out today.

Your pumpkins look awesome!
I would love to see your kids Halloween costumes.
Congrats on the new minivan...nice wheels.

I wonder how hard it would be to talk Pat into a Vespa...hmmm...gotta think on that one.

Come check out my blog...

Anonymous said...

As always, family is cuter than a bug's ear!!! Love your theory on cleaning up. Of course, you grew up ALWAYS on clean up because you were stuck at things with Dad and I. Glad to find out that you learned the fun side of that and that it comes so naturally to you. Of course, service (even clean up) always feeds the soul and spirit. So glad you are feasting. Pumpkin carving seemed to be your favorite part of Halloween. However, you have definately taken it to an art now. Julie's pumpkin is very nice. Traditional carving is always enjoyable as well as the creastive. Love you all. Mom

Kendle said...

Nice pumpkins! I did Tinkerbell this year,I thought it turned out okay. I love yours!